There I was at the beginning of winter – the cold settling in, the rain coming down, daylight hours getting shorter and shorter – and I thought it seemed like a good time for a nice, warm inside project. Time to spring clean my website! You know, brush the cobwebs out of the corners, give it a bit of a refresh, shouldn’t take that long…
You’ve met Ailene, the artist. But I also spend a lot of time being Ailene, the nerd.
At work, I do #allthethings, from designing how information is stored in a database, to studying how actual humans interact with user interfaces and how to make them more usable. Professional nerd Ailene should have told artist Ailene that a website redesign was going to be quite a big undertaking!
Still, I have to admit, I had a great time writing a bunch of new code, learning new things, and being distracted “ooo, squirrel!” and going off on random tangents.
Here’s some of my favourites parts:
- Exploring colour psychology and seasonal personalities (I’m an autumn: earthy, organic, passionate, with warm, intense, muted colours), making a mood board, and choosing my new brand colours.
- Fonts and typography is fascinating! #nerd
- Learning about the webp image format (#nerd) so if you use Chrome, all the images will load heaps faster for you.
- It’s way easier to get in touch with me now via my new contact form (cue more nerdery hooking up a transactional email service so you get a friendly thank you email when you send me a message – go on, try it out!)
- Learning all things copywriting, being nerdy with words, and doing a lot of writing.
- Figuring out my core values – see if you can find them on my about page.
- Getting out amongst the new spring blossom and taking a ton of new photos! (And then designing a new macro to edit them all in my new editing software – you guessed it: #nerd).
I’m so happy with my new website and I really hope you love it too (I admit, I’m fairly nervous about launching it to the world).
Please, go explore, and let me know what your favourite part is!
Keep on shining bright,