There I was at the beginning of winter – the cold settling in, the rain coming down, daylight hours getting shorter and shorter – and I thought it seemed like a good time for a nice, warm inside project. Time to spring clean my website! You know, brush the cobwebs out of the corners, give it a bit of a refresh, shouldn’t take that long…
You’ve met Ailene, the artist. But I also spend a lot of time being Ailene, the nerd.
At work, I do #allthethings, from designing how information is stored in a database, to studying how actual humans interact with user interfaces and how to make them more usable. Professional nerd Ailene should have told artist Ailene that a website redesign was going to be quite a big undertaking!
Still, I have to admit, I had a great time writing a bunch of new code, learning new things, and being distracted “ooo, squirrel!” and going off on random tangents.
Here’s some of my favourites parts:
- Exploring colour psychology and seasonal personalities (I’m an autumn: earthy, organic, passionate, with warm, intense, muted colours), making a mood board, and choosing my new brand colours.
- Fonts and typography is fascinating! #nerd
- Learning about the webp image format (#nerd) so if you use Chrome, all the images will load heaps faster for you.
- It’s way easier to get in touch with me now via my new contact form (cue more nerdery hooking up a transactional email service so you get a friendly thank you email when you send me a message – go on, try it out!)
- Learning all things copywriting, being nerdy with words, and doing a lot of writing.
- Figuring out my core values – see if you can find them on my about page.
- Getting out amongst the new spring blossom and taking a ton of new photos! (And then designing a new macro to edit them all in my new editing software – you guessed it: #nerd).
I’m so happy with my new website and I really hope you love it too (I admit, I’m fairly nervous about launching it to the world).
Please, go explore, and let me know what your favourite part is!